Thursday, December 20, 2012

Why Donna Reed?

 
 
So when presenting this idea to my husband, his very appropriate husband response was "who is Donna Reed"?  It occurred to me then that to create the forum I hope to, I should explain why I chose her as a model.  Growing up and watching Nick at Night reruns with my parents and grandparents, I would very often see the Donna Reed Show.  In the show, Donna was the picture perfect housewife and mother to a pediatrician and a son and daughter.  She held a clean home, perfectly behaved children and managed to be stunning in a house dress by the time her hubby came home while dinner was cooking in the kitchen.

Now in this quest to be a "modern-day" Donna Reed, I am fully aware of how far removed that model is to most of today's households, my own included.  For one, most of us work in some capacity whether it is full time, part-time, work from home, etc.  Two, my husband is not a doctor.  Third, I have three children who you are lucky to get a shirt on let alone a nice button down shirt that has no wrinkles or stains!  We could go on and on from here. 

It is the idea of Donna that I want to take on.  Wouldn't it be great to feel like you have work, home, family, and self in order like she did every day.  When starting my first blog, I guess I should have asked this question.  Am I alone?  Are there other women out there who feel like the battle to be mother, wife and self is setting us up for failure? 

My next post, I am going to tackle New Year's Goals... What are your plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment