Sunday, February 17, 2013

Systems Even a Child Can Get Into!

Cleaning and organizing have become a never-ending cycle in our household.  We installed the chore system that I pictured in the last post and so far so good.  It gets our kids more in a routine and they also have to realization that they need to do these activities everyday.  We used to hear, "but I made my bed yesterday" and now they know automatically that they need to make it everyday.  There is a bit of behavior maintenance on all of our parts.  As parents, we need to reset it every night, go over the tokens they earned that day and make sure we take them away when they are not behaving well.  I can explain it more thoroughly to anyone who is interested, just message me on Twitter @jamclevermama or on facebook "cleverly organized jorie 1148" and I will be happy to write back.

So back to our cycle, now that the kids are involved, we have a whole different problem.  They are "helping".  Here is a picture of my daughter's bookshelf after she has "cleaned" her room.  She is five years old so I should cut her some slack, right?  
Not really, let me explain.  Day after day I would sit her down, show her how to put her books away and essentially do it for her that day (extra work for me).  Then, the next day after she told me "it's clean", it looks like this.  She tried but this system is obviously not right for her.  When you want your children to help out, you need to make sure that the system in place enables them to do so.  It can be as simple as hanging the hooks at a length they can reach to hang up their coat.  In my daughter's case, I finally sat down and watched her try to put her books away.  As she tried to line them up like I showed her, the weight of the books already in place would be too much and they would all fall.  She then got frustrated and stacked as you see them. 
 
I decided to rethink the shelf entirely.  First, I went through all of the books.  I couldn't believe how many were not appropriate for her anymore or damaged and needed to be thrown away.  I sorted them into piles.  She has a younger brother and sister.  So we made piles to be given to them, a garbage pile, a donation pile and books that can go in the basement for her to read when I am exercising.  With the much condensed pile, I moved her books to a smaller location by her bed for night time reading.  With fewer books, she is able to line them up easily.
 
Then, I decided to use the bookshelf to help with her dress-up clothes problem.  She was always throwing her dresses into a trunk at the foot of her bed.  It made it very easy for her to tear them all out and be very rough with them when she was looking for one thing.  I removed the shelves in bookcase and added a tension rod.  I decided to put back one of the shelves for wings, crowns and other accessories.  Now, she is able to see all of her dresses, choose the right one and put it back without having to rummage, cram or stuff! 
 
Check out this after picture!  Love it!  If you have any projects like this you would like to share, please comment and let us know where to see it.  Hope this helps inspire some of you to get those little ones helping out and becoming responsible!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment