Tuesday, January 15, 2013

So I am still on a food kick and definitely don't think we have exhausted this topic enough to move on!  My first thoughts are always to plan plan plan.  Although I know that even the most put together mommy has those moments where we forgot something, we ran out of time to run to the store or we just don't feel like making what we planned to make!  Last night, my kids were sick and trying something new and exciting would  not work!

For me, I personally have a few recipes/meals that I know by heart.  They require little ingredients or at least ingredients I can have on hand for a long time.  In my household these will usually come out because it is after 7pm and I haven't even made it home yet to start dinner.  Before I want to start working through a brand new recipe that might take me longer than expected to make, I will fall back on my "tried and true" to nourish the family that evening.  I will comment with one of my favorites and list the ingredients, etc.  As I commented on in the previous post, Kraft has a great easy to use recipe where you can plug in "chicken and corn" because that's what you might have on hand and it will give you some easy to make recipes to try.   

So my question this week is "what is your tried and true"?  What do you always have in your pantry that can make a quick meal and be your go to?  I think we all have pasta and sauce so lets move beyond that one.  Staples you always keep in the pantry because you know when all else fails, you can at least serve that.  Is there a website or book you use to find quick recipes with what you have on hand?  Thanks for sharing!!

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite go to's:

    I have Chicken (frozen) / onions / minced garlic / diced tomatoes on hand in my pantry at all times. I can't say I supply on purpose but once I buy a bottle of balsamic vinegar it stays for a while so it seems like I am keeping it on purpose.

    Sautee chicken and diced onions in oil for about 5 minutes a side. Pour in diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar (if you don't have, use chicken broth), add a little minced garlic. Simmer until chicken is cooked through and sauce is reduced.

    I have served it with rice, mashed potatoes, canned veggies, etc. Whatever else is in that pantry of yours :)

    ReplyDelete